Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A Day of Soap Making



So, today was like going to my own personal Disneyland. I got a three hour long "class" on making soap from a friend of a friend who is now a friend! She makes soaps, lotions, balms, etc. and sells them. Today, we made beer soap. Instead of adding the lye to water, you add it to beer! Such a great Northwest soap! The last time I made soap, it was 9 years ago. I was completely self taught and never felt confident that I was doing it right, even though my soap worked. After seeing it done by another person, I discovered I was doing it right. It's really not too hard. I'm re-hooked on soap making. Guess what everyone's getting for Christmas next year??

blending oils, lye, and beer with a stick blender until it "traces"

Pouring the soap into the molds

A different batch of soap made two days ago, ready to come out of the molds and get cut.

The finished product (this is "mojito" soap). Now it cures for 4-6 weeks.

On another note. I finally witnessed one of my chickens actually "in the act" of laying an egg. I saw it coming out!
This egg.

Laid by this little lady.


Enjoy your eggs and soap this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment